“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.”Hippocrates
A large percentage of fitness and wellness comes down to nutrition, and so we put emphasis where it needs to be… In the kitchen!
At Matlacha Wellness Center, we don’t believe in diets.
Our nutrition classes and plans take a realistic, everyday approach. Our goal is to establish life-long eating habits that help you achieve your weight loss goals in a healthy, comfortable manner. Nutrition should be a fun, well-balanced way of life…
Not a chore, and not based on some passing fad.
There are many benefits of having proper nutrition:
- Improved Energy: It is important to avoid empty carbohydrates like refined sugar, because they create a roller-coaster effect in your blood sugar levels, causing periods of fatigue and sluggishness throughout the day. Instead, consume complex carbohydrates like fruits and vegetables for steady energy throughout the day.
- Weight Maintenance: Proper nutrition will help you meet and maintain your weight loss goals. This is put into jeopardy if you consume high-calorie fast food or consume a lot of sugary drinks like soda or fruit juice. Instead, try to stay sated by eating high-fiber snacks and drinking plenty of water.
- Healthy Heart: Replace saturated and transfats with polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats – found in foods such as nuts, seeds, avocados and oily fish – and you will be less likely to have unhealthy cholesterol levels and high blood pressure.
- Reduced Diabetes Risk: You are more likely to get Type 2 Diabetes if you consume a lot of refined carbohydrates. By replacing these “empty carbs” with whole grains and fruits slowly increases your blood sugar and insulin levels and place less stress on your insulin-producing machinery,
- Healthy Brain: A diet rich in cholesterol and saturated fat is linked with an elevated risk for high cholesterol and Alzheimer’s disease, according to the Alzheimer’s Association. However, having a higher level of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats in your diet can improve your cholesterol levels and help protect your brain cells. Other foods that may help protect your brain cells are dark-skinned vegetables and fruits such as kale, broccoli, red bell peppers, blueberries, red grapes and cherries.
Since everyone is unique, our nutrition plans are offered on a one-on-one basis.
This allows us to focus in on your specific needs and develop a winning plan for you. When working with specific medical conditions (like cancer or diabetes), we will always collaborate with your physician when formulating your nutrition plan.
This process starts with a discussion of your current eating habits, food preferences, and daily activities. We also set some reasonable, achievable goals. Then we help you choose healthy foods that you like and that are easy to incorporate into your schedule.
We understand that nutrition must be convenient, so we will give you tips and tricks along the way to help you conquer cravings and avoid moments of weakness.
Achieving your weight loss goals doesn’t have to be difficult. With the right nutritional guidance and plan, you will be pleasantly surprised by how easy it is. More important, though, is establishing life-long healthy eating habits that will pay countless dividends as you get older.
Let us design a personalized nutrition plan around your life and lifestyle.
Nutrition classes can be individualized, or offered in groups of 1-10 people.
Call us at 239-558-4146 to book an appointment today!
Wellness Products And Services
In a private, personal setting and tailor-made to fit your specific needs and goals. Click here to learn more.
We offer Swedish, Deep Tissue, Myofascial Trigger Point, and other massage treatments in-house. Click here to learn more.
Helping people bounce back from life-altering accidents and other health challenges. Click here to learn more.
Helping each client achieve their goals by we focusing on realistic personalized healthy eating plans. Click here to learn more.
Helping you focus your attention and intention on improving your life in several different areas. Click here to learn more.
Our unique, holistic approach to mental health is the perfect complement to our mission of overall health. Click here to learn more.
Building strength and balance in your body and mind. Click here to learn more.
We offer a variety of events focused on strengthening your mind, your body, and your soul. Click here to learn more.
Our favorite health and wellness products (and all your favorite Matlacha Wellness Center gear) all in one convenient place!